HTML to CSV Translator
The table translator.
The purpose of this simple applet is to
help you translate HTML source code for a table
into a format that is easier to import into a
spreadsheet or other data analysis program.
To use this applet:
- Point your browser to the data page you want to read.
- View the HTML SOURCE CODE of the page.
- Highlight the source code of the table you want to copy.
It will be between <table> and </table> tags
- Copy the source code (control - insert in Windows)
(You can select more than one table at a time, but you might
get strange results. You can also select text outside a table,
but the results will again be unpredictable.)
- Paste the source code of the table into the left-hand window
of the H2Text applet
(Shift - insert in Windows)
- Click on the translate button
- The CSV (comma separated values) version of the table will
show up in the right hand box.
- Copy this data, and paste it into your spreadsheet.
- This version should paste into your spreadsheet nicely.
If you do have questions, email me at
- I wrote this program in about an hour when I should have been
doing real work
- It works OK, but it's far from perfect
- I know it adds a leading row and column. Think of it as a feature,
not a bug
- It won't work if your source code uses attributes in the table tags.
eg: if you see something like this: <td width = 300>
you'll have a problem.
You can use a text editor to search and replace all such tags to
plain old <td>
- Hey, it's just a free service, so don't send me a lot of angry
The source code for those of you who
are interested in Java