Department of Computer and Information Science
Purdue University School of Science
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
723 W. Michigan St., SL 280M
Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Email: durresi at cs.iupui.edu
Tel: +1 (317) 274-8942, Fax: +1 (317) 274-9742
My research focuses on networking, security and trust. I am particularly interested in new network architectures as response to the changing challenges and needs of users in various environments and applications, such as Internet, wireless, optical, multimedia, and so on. Important design goals for such systems include scalability, security, robustness, reliability, economic viability, manageability. My research explores the design space among various goals and constrains and tries to find desirable tradeoffs, which would enable the practical use of new solutions. Furthermore, we have developed a framework for trust management systems, based on measurement theory, and we are applying such framework on various applications, including, social networks, decision making, cloud computing systems, finance, and so on.
New class announcements
- CSCI 59000 Security Engineering, Fall 2017. Course Description
- CSCI 59000 Advanced Mobility and Cloud Computing, developed and offered in partnership with Microsoft Research, Project Hawaii. Spring 2017. With new modules on the design of Datacenters and Big Data. Course Description
News and Accomplishments
- Co-PI, INFEWS/T2: iFEWCoordNet - a secure decision support system for coordination of adaptation planning among FEW actors in the Pacific Northwest, NSF-USDA, 2017-2020
- PI, Secure Data Architecture: Collaborative Research: Assured Mission Delivery Network Framework for Secure Scientific Collaboration, NSF, 2015-2018
- PI, An Application Delivery Platform for Mobile Apps on Global Clouds, NSF, 2012-2014
- Guest Editor of the IEEE Communications Magazine, Special Issue: Cloud Computing: Networking and Communications Challenges; Published in September, 2012.
- PI, RAPID: Using Lessons from the Disaster in Japan to Develop Communications for Emergency Situations, NSF, 2011-2012
- Graduate course: Advanced Mobility and Cloud Computing, developed and offered in partnership with Microsoft Research, Project Hawaii. Spring 2012. Course Description.
- Guest Editor of the IEEE Communications Magazine, Special Issue: Future Internet Architectures: Design and Deployment Perspectives; Publication date: July, 2011.
- New graduate course: Advanced Mobility and Cloud Computing, developed and offered in partnership with Microsoft Research, Project Hawaii. Spring 2011. Course Description.
- "Secure and Policy-based Mobility Support in Heterogeneous Networks," Selected Poster for presantation at: 2010 ONR Naval Science and Technology Partnership Conference, Crystal City - Arlington, Va, November 8-10, 2010
- Chair of The 13th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems NBiS 2010, Takayama, Gifu, Japan September 14 - 16, 2010
- Fellow of the Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, 2010-11.
- PI, Secure Communications among Cell Phones and Sensors for Medical Applications, Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research - CACR, 2010-2011.
- "Business oriented Support for Internet Mobility," Talk at: Midwest University - Industry Summit, West Lafayette, IN, March 30, 2010
- PI, Large-Scale Distributed Scientific Experiments on Shared Substrate, NSF Computer and Network Systems, 2010-12.
- PC Chair of The 12th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS-09), IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA, on August 19 - 21, 2009
- "Security for the Next Internet over Heterogeneous Environments," Invited Talk at: The Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS) - Purdue University , West Lafayette, IN, March 11, 2009
- General Chair of The 23rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA-09), University of Bradford, Bradford, UK, May 26-29, 2009.
- Area Editor of ICST Transactions on Networks and Communications, 2009 - Present.
- Keynote speaker at The International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS2008), Turin, Italy, September 1-5, 2008.
- United States Patent: # 7,236,238; Method and apparatus for monitoring the quality of optical links; Issued on June 26, 2007.
- Keynote speaker at The 21st IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2007), Niagara Falls, Canada, May 21-23, 2007.