Shiaofen Fang, Ph.D.Interim Dean, School of Science
Professor, Computer & Information Science
Department of Computer & Information Science
My primary research interests are visualization, biomedical imaging, computer graphics, and geometric modeling. My early research focus was on Volume Visualization and Volume Graphics. Major projects included deformable volume modeling and rendering, hardware assisted voxelization, volume fusion, 3D microscopy visualization, and immersive volume visualization.
A common theme of these research projects is the efficient and effective visualization of scientific data. Although this line of research is still a major part of my work, my recent research interests have shifted toward medical image analysis and visual analytics.
These processes include 3D image analysis for medical diagnosis, surface analysis of medical images, 3D surface reconstruction, and knowledge discovery through information visualization.
Ph.D Computer Science, University of Utah
MS, Applied Mathematics, Zhejiang University
BS, Mathematics, Zhejiang University
Courses Taught / Teaching
CSCI 55000 Computer Graphics (Fall 2017)
CSCI 55200 Data Visualization (Spring 2018)
CSCI 12000 Windows on Computer Science (Fall 2018)
CSCI 55200 Data Visualization (Spring 2019)
My primary research interests are in Data visualization, biomedical image analysis, visual analytcis, and volume graphics My early research focus had been on Volume Visualization and Volume Graphics with emphasis on efficient rendering and modeling techniques of scientific data.
These include deformable volume modeling and rendering, hardware assisted voxelization, 3D microscopy visualization, and immersive volume visualzation.
My recent research interests are focused more on biomedical image analysis,visual analytics theory and information visualization algorithms. These include visual analytics of brain connectome data, 3D facial image analysis for medical diagnosis, healthcare data visualiztion, and spatiotemporal visualization algorithms.
Visual Analytics of Neuroimaging Data
This is a collaborative project with the Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences of Indiana University. We aim to develop human brain image analysis and visualization techniques and tools for the visual exploration and analysis of human brain image data. Pattern recognition techniques are applied to detect imaging biomarkers for various conditions. Visualization techniques are developed to visualize features of the brain connectome network including topology, attributes, clusters, markers, genetic associations, and their correlations, within the context of volumetric anatomical features. Visual analytics techniques are also being developed for the analysis tasks such as diagnostic biomarker detection. This project is currently funded by NIH-NIBIB and byIUPUI Imaging Technology Development Program (ITDP) .
Healthcare Data Visualization
This is a collaboration with researchers in the Regenstrief Institute and the School of Informatics to develop new visualization techniques and an interactive visualization system for large healthcare data sets. Such a system offers a real time and web-based solution for the effective use of large scale electronic health record systems by allowing system level integration of the human visual capabilities into the overall health data based decision making system. We developed a novel concept space approach to compress large, heterogeneous, and historical patient and public health data into a single, intuitive and comprehensive visualization. New spatiotemporal visualization techniques were developed for large public health datasets that involve geographical and population wide information. This project has been funded by the US Department of Defense (US Army).
Information Visualization Algorithms
We are interested in developing various general purpose information visualization algorithms. Some examples include (1) Gene Terrain, a large scale graph visualization technique based on scattered data interpolation; (2) Spiral Theme Plot, a time-series data visualization technique; and (3) Color Time Curves, a spatiotemporal data visualization technique. These techniques have been applied to various data analytics and visualization applications such as disease biomarker detection using disease networks and protein-protein interaction network; healthcare data visualization, city traffic data visualization, and text visualization for online review data and unstructured text data.
3D Facial Image Analysis for FASD Diagnosis
This was a collaboration with NIH Collaborative Initiative on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (CIFASD). We have developed 3D image analysis techniques for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome diagnosis. The focus is on enhancing our understanding of FASD dysmorphology through the processing and analysis of 3D facial images. We have also developed mouse models for facial and brain phenotypes as a function of the dose and stage of embryonic development of the alcohol exposure. New applications of 3D Micro-video-imaging and Micro-computed tomography (Micro-CT) imaging of facial and underlying bone/cartilage allow high resolution analysis of surface-to-bone/cartilage craniofacial dysmorphology from fetal ages to young adulthood. This project was funded by multiple NIH-NIAAA grants.
My earlier research has been focused on volume rendering algorithms and volume graphics techniques for interactive volumetric modeling systems. I have developed several algorithms for deformable volume rendering and transfer function design in volume visualization. I have also developed a framework of hardware assisted techniques and voxelization algorithms that would allow 3D modeling operations to be carried out interactively in a volume graphics environment. Our results demonstrate that it is possible to achieve high performance volume graphics and volume modeling with the architecture of existing graphics subsystems without any special hardware design. This project was funded by an NSF grant.
Last Modified: Dec 16, 2016
Publications & Professional Activities
- Mao, Songan; Wu, Huanmei; Sandison, George; Fang, Shiaofen, Iterative volume morphing and learning for mobile tumor based on 4DCT. Physics in Medicine and Biology, Phys. Med. Biol. 62 (2017) 1501-1517.
- Jing Wan, Zhilin Zhang, Bhaskar Rao, Shiaofen Fang, JIngwen Yan, Andrew Saykin, Li Shen. Identifying the Neuroanatomical Basis of Cognitive Impairment in Alzheimers Disease by Correlation- and Nonlinearity-Aware Sparse Bayesian Learning. IEEE Trans. On Medical Imaging, 2014 Jul;33(7):1475-87.
- Qian You, Shiaofen Fang and Patricia Ebright, Iterative Visual Clustering for Learning Concepts from Unstructured Text Unstructured Text Data. International Journal of Software and Informatics, Volume 6, Issue 1 (2012), pp. 43-59.
- Jason Mclaughlin, Shiaofen Fang, Sandra Jacobson, H Eugene Hoyme, Luther Robinson and Tatiana Foroud. Interactive Feature Visualization and Detection for 3D Face Classification, International Journal of Cognitive Informatics and Natural Intelligence. 5(2), 2011, 1-16.
- Andrew Hoblitzell, Omkar Tilak, Snehasis Mukhopadhyay, Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, Yuni Xia, Joseph Bidwell, Multi-Level text Mining for Bone Biology, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. 23(17), 2011, 2355-2364.
- Xiaohong Mao, Jinghua Fu, Wei Chen, Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, Qunsheng Peng, Structural Visualization of Sequential DNA Data,Journal of Zhejiang University-Science C (Computer & Electron), 12(4): 263-272, 2011.
- Luoding Zhu, Guowei He, Shizhao Wang, Laura Miller, Xing Zhang, Ray Chin, Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, An immersed boundary method by the lattice Boltzmann approach in three dimensions, Computers & Mathematics with Applications (CMA, by Elsevier), 61(12), pp 35063518.
- Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, Jake Chen, GeneTerrain: Visual Exploration of Differential Gene Expression Profiles Organized in Native Biomolecular Interaction Networks, Journal of Information Visualization, 2010; 9:1, 1-12.
- Jianbing Shen, Hanqiu Sun, Jiaya Jia, Hanli Zhao, Xiaogang Jin, Shiaofen fang. A unified framework for designing textures using energy optimization, Pattern Recognition, 43:2, pp. 457-469, 2010.
- Shengjun Xue, Geng Liu, Shiaofen Fang: The Research of Optimization of Browse Efficiency Based on Web Information on Small-Screen. FSKD (3) 2009: 495-499
- Jianbing Shen, Shiaofen Fang, Hanli Zhao, Xiaogang Jin. Fast Approximation of Trilateral Filter for Tone Mapping Using a Signal Processing Approach. International Journal of Signal Processing, Elsevier, 2009, 89:5. 901-907.
- Shiaofen Fang, Basil George and Mathew Palakal. Automatic Surface Scanning of 3D Artifacts, International Journal of Virtual Reality. 2009, 8:4, 67-72.
- Shiaofen Fang, Jason McLaughlin, Jiandong Fang, Jeffrey Huang, Ilona Autti-Rm, se Fagerlund, et al., Automated Diagnosis of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Using 3D Facial Image Analysis, Orthodontics and Craniofacial Research, 2008;11:162-171.
- Jie Chen, Shuning Li and Shiaofen fang, Quantification of Tooth Displacement from Cone Beam CT Images, American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, 136:3, pp:393-400,2009.
- Shiaofen Fang and Marwan Adada, "Multi-Scale Iso-surface Extraction for Volume Visualization", International Journal of Images and Graphics, Special Issue on Biomedical VR, Vol. 6, No. 2, 173-186, 2006.
- Mike Boyles and Shiaofen Fang, "3DIVE: An Immersive Environment for Interactive Volume Data Exploration", Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST)), 18 (1), 2003, 41-47.
- Haiying Wang, Snehasis Mukhopadhyay, and Shiaofen Fang: Feature Decomposition Architectures for Neural Networks: Algorithms, Error Bounds, and Applications. International Journal of Neural Systems 12(1): 69-81 (2002)
- Jeffrey Clendenon, Carrie Phillips, Ruben Sandoval, Shiaofen Fang, Kenneth Dunn, "Voxx - An Inexpensive, Near Real-Time Visualization System for Biological Microscopy", American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology, 282 (1), C213-C218, January 2002.
- Carrie L. Phillips, Lois J. Arend, Adele J. Filson, Doug J. Kojetin, Jeffrey L. Clendenon, Shiaofen Fang, and Kenneth W. Dunn, "Three-Dimensional Imaging of Embryonic Mouse Kidney by Two-Photon Microscopy", American Journal of Pathology 2001 158: 49-55.
- Shiaofen Fang, Yi Dai, Fred Myers*, Mihran Tuceryan and Ken Dunn, "Three-Dimensional Microscopy Data Exploration by Interactive Volume Visualization", Journal of Scanning Microscopies, July/August, Vol 22, 218-226, 2000.
- Shiaofen Fang and Hongsheng Chen, "Hardware Accelerated Voxelization", Computers and Graphics, 24(3):433-442, June 2000.
- Mike Boyles and Shiaofen Fang, "Slicing-Based Volumetric Collision Detection", ACM Journal of Graphics Tools, 4(4): 23-32, 2000.
- Shiaofen Fang and Hongsheng Chen, "Hardware Accelerated Voxelization" , In: Volume Graphics (chapter 20), pp. 301-315, Springer-Verlag, March, 2000.
- Rajagopalan Srinivasan and Shiaofen Fang, "Integrating Volume Morphing and Visualization", Journal of Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, Special Issue on Computational Geometry in Virtual Reality, 15(1-3):149-159, March, 2000
- Shiaofen Fang, R. Srinivasan, Raghu Raghavan and Joan Richtsmeier, "Volume Morphing and Rendering -- An Integrated Approach" , Journal of Computer Aided Geometric Design, 17(1):59-81, January, 2000.
- Hongsheng Chen and Shiaofen Fang, "Fast Voxelization of 3D Synthetic Objects", ACM Journal of Graphics Tools, 3(4): 33-45, 1999.
- Rajeev Raje, Michael Boyles and Shiaofen Fang, "CEV: Collaborative Environment for Visualization Using Java-RMI", Journal of Concurrency: Practice and and Experience, vol. 10 (11-13), pp. 1079-1085, 1998.
- Shiaofen Fang, Beat Bruderlin and Xiaohong Zhu, "Robustness in Solid Modeling - A Tolerance Based Intuitionistic Approach", Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 25, No. 9, September, 1993, pp. 567-576.
- Shiaofen Fang, S. Gao and Y. D. Liang, "MESSAGE - A Solid Modeler with Free-Form Surface Facilities", ACTA Automatica Sinica, Vol. 17, No. 4, 1991, pp. 434-438.
- Abdrew Hoblitzell, Snehasis Mukhopdhyay, Qian You, Shioafen Fang, Yuni Xia, Joe Bidwell. Text Mining for Bone Biology. Proc. ACM High Performance Distributed Computing, Emerging Computational Methods for the Life Sciences Workshop. 522-530, June, 2010.
Conferences and Workshops (full paper peer reviewed)
- Wang, Jiachen; Fang, Shiaofen; Li, Huang; Goi, Joaqun; Saykin, Andrew J.; Shen, Li. Multigraph Visualization for Feature Classification of Brain Network Data. EuroVis Workshop on Visual Analytics (EuroVA), pp.61-65, 2016.
- Shenghui Jiang, Shiaofen Fang, Shaun Grannis. Spiral Theme Plot, Proc.18th EG/VGTC Conference on Visualization (EuroVis), short paper, 2016, 109-122.
- Shenghui Jiang, Shiaofen Fang, Sam Bloomquist, Jeremy Keiper, Mathew Palakal, Yuni Xia, and Shaun Grannis. Healthcare Data Visualization: Geospatial and Temporal Integration. In Proceedings of the 11th Joint Conference on Computer Vision, Imaging and Computer Graphics Theory and Applications, 212-219, 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Huang Li, Shiaofen Fang, Joaqun Goi Cortes, Joey Contreras, Yanhua Liang, Chengtao Cai, John West, Shannon L. Risacher, Yang Wang, Olaf Sporns, Andrew J. Saykin, Li Shen, for the ADNI, Integrated Visualization of Human Brain Connectome Data. In: Guo Y, Friston K, Aldo F, Hill S, Peng H, editors. Brain Informatics and Health: Springer International Publishing; 2015. p. 295-305.
- Shiaofen Fang, Lanfang Miao and Eric Lin. Visualization and Clustering of Online Book Reviews. Proc. of 2014 International Conference on Information Visualization, Theory and Applications, Lisbon, Portugal, January, 2014, 187-194.
- Yanhua Liang, Shiaofen Fang, Taylor Brandstatter, Chengtao Cai, Yang Wang, John D. West, Joaqun Goi Cortes, Andrew J. Saykin, Li Shen, for the ADNI, Brain Connectome Visualization for Feature Classification. To appear in: Proc. of IEEE Visualization 2014 (poster).
- Y. Xia, S. Fang, M. Palakal, R. Gamache, T. Nguyen, S. Bloomquist, J. Keiper, S. Grannis. Data Exploration of a Notifiable Condition Detector System. In Proc. 2013 Workshop on Visual Analytics in Healthcare. Poster Presentation, Washington DC, Oct. 2013, pp 66-67.
- M. Palakal, S. Fang, Y. Xia, S. Grannis, R. Gamache, T. Nguyen, S. Bloomquist, J. Keiper. Detecting Comorbidity of Chlamydia from Clinical Reports. In Proc. 2013 Workshop on Visual Analytics in Healthcare. Poster Presentation, Washington DC. Oct. 2013, pp 75-76.
- Eric Lin, Shiaofen Fang, Jie Wang. Mining Online Book Reviews for Sentimental Clustering. 27th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops, 2013, pp.179-184.
- Yishi Guo, Yang Wang, Shiaofen Fang, Hongyang Chao, Andrew J. Saykin1, Li Shen. Pattern Visualization of Human Connectome Data. Eurographics Conference on Visualization (EuroVis) (2012) M. Meyer and T. Weinkauf (Editors). Pp 78-83.
- Jing Wan, Zhilin Zhang, Jingwen Yan, Taiyong Li, Bhaskar Rao, Shiaofen Fang, Sungeun Kim, Shannon Risacher, Andrew Saykin, Li Shen. Sparse Bayesian Multi-Task Learning for Predicting Cognitive Outcomes from Neuroimaging Measures in Alzheimer's Disease. CVPR2012: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, June 18-20, 2012.
- Li T, Wan J, Zhang Z, Yan J, Kim S, Risacher SL, Fang S, Beg MF, Wang L, Saykin AJ, Shen L, for the ADNI (2012) Hippocampus as a predictor of cognitive performance: Comparative evaluation of analytical methods and morphometric measures. MICCAI 2012 Workshop on Novel Imaging Biomarkers for Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders, Nice, France, October 5, 2012
- Jason Mclaughlin, Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, Jake Chen. TAO: Terrain Analytic Operators for Expert-Guided Data Mining Applications, 2011 Workshop on Visual Analytics in Healthcare (VisWeek 2011), pp.56-59, 2011.
- Jing Wan, Sungeun Kim, Mark Inlow, Kwangsik Nho, Shanker Swaminathan, Shannon L. Risacher, Shiaofen Fang, Michael W. Weiner, M. Faisal Beg, Lei Wang, Andrew J. Saykin, Li Shen, Hippocampal Surface Mapping of Genetic Risk Factors in AD via Sparse Learning Models. MICCAI 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) 6892:376-383, Springer, Heidelberg, 2011.
- Shiaofen Fang, Ying Liu, Sophia Vinci-Booher, Bruce Anthony and Feng Zhou, Surface Analysis from Video Volumes for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Classification, Proc. International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA), 2010, Sydney, pp. 22-26.
- Wan J, Shen L, Fang S, McLaughlin J, Autti-Ramo I, Fagerlund A, Riley E, Hoyme HE, Moore ES, Foroud T, CIFASD. A framework for 3D analysis of facial morphology in fetal alcohol syndrome. H. Liao et al. (Eds.): MIAR 2010, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) 6326, pp. 118-127, 2010.
- Jason Mclaughlin, Shiaofen Fang, Jeffrey Huang, Sandra Jacobson, H Eugene Hoyme, Luther Robinson and Tatiana Foroud. Interactive Feature Visualization and Detection for 3D Face Classification, Proc. The 9th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics. July, 2010.
- Qian You, Shiaofen Fang and Patricia Ebright, Iterative Visual Clustering for Unstructured Text Data. Proc. International Symposium on Biocomputing, Feb. 2010, Calicut, India.
- Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, Luoding Zhu, "Visualizing Vortex Shedding of an Elastic Plate Interacting with a 3D Viscous Flow," vol. 2, pp.312-317, 2009 Ninth IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, 2009.
- Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, Snehasis Mukhopadhyay, Harsha Vaka, Jake Chen. Visualizing a Multi-level Graph of Biology Entity Interactions, 12th International Conference on Network Based Information Systems (NBIS09), pp.304-309, 2009.
- Jing Wan, Li Shen, Kelsey E. Sheehan, Sungeun Kim, Robert M. Roth, James Ford, Shiaofen Fang, Andrew J. Saykin, and Heather A. Wishart, Shape Analysis of Thalamic Atrophy in Multiple Sclerosis, In Proc. MICCAI workshop on Medical Image Analysis on Multiple Sclerosis (validation and methodological issues). pages 93-104, September 20, 2009.
- Shiaofen Fang, Ying Liu, Jeffrey Huang, Sophia Vinci-Booher, Bruce Anthony, and Feng Zhou. Alchohol Exposure Analysis of Mouse Embryos Using Multi-angle Facial Image Analysis. Proc. of ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 2009, 852-856.
- Adebayo Olowoyeye, Mihran Tuceryan, and Shiaofen Fang. Medical Volume Segmentation Using Bank of Gabor Filters. Proc. of ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 2009, 826-830.
- Kai Wang, Yan Sui, Xukai Zou, Arjan Durresi, and Shiaofen Fang, Pervasive and Trustworthy Healthcare, Worshop Proceeding, 22nd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (IEEE AINA) -- Bio-Computing Workshop, 750-755, 2008.
- Duoduo Liao and Shiaofen Fang, A Volumetric Framework for the Modeling and Rendering of Dynamic and Heterogeneous Scenes, Lecture Note in Computer Science (LNCS) Volume 4975, 585-591. Also in Proc. 2008 International Conference in Geometric Modeling and Processing, 2008.
- Qian You, Shiaofen Fang, and Patricia Ebright, Visualizing Unstructured Text Sequences Using Iterative Visual Clustering, 9th International Conference on Visual Information Systems, Lecture Notes on Computer Science series, Vol. 4781/2007, June 2007, Revised Selected Papers, Springer-Verlag, 2007, pp. 275-284.
- Jeffrey Huang, NehaMaheshwari, Shiaofen Fang, Automated Face Identification Using Volume-Based Facial Models, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, Volume 4035, 753-760, 2006.
- Jiandong Fang, Shiaofen Fang and Jeffrey Huang, "Digital Geometry Image Analysis for Medical Diagnosis", Proc. ACM Symposium on Applied Computing 2006, pp. 216-220, Dijon, France.
- Shiaofen Fang, Min Lwin and P. Ebright, "Visualization of Unstructured Text Sequences of Nursing Narratives", Proc. ACM Symposium on Applied Computing 2006, pp. 239-243, Dijon, France.
- Shiaofen Fang and Pooja Gupta, "Boundary Surface Extraction and Rendering for Volume Datasets", Proc. ACM Symposium on Applied Computing 2006, pp. 1355-1359, Dijon, France.
- Amit Jain, Jeffrey Huang, Shiaofen Fang, "Gender Identification using Frontal Images", in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2005), July, 2005, pp. 1082-1085, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Shiaofen Fang and Pooja Gupta, "Zero-Crossing Isosurface in Volume Datasets", Proc. IEEE EMBC'05, September, 2005, 5108-5111.
- Amit Jain, Jeffrey Huang and Shiaofen Fang, "Using Facial Images to Diagnose Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)", Proc. IEEE International Conf. on Information Technology: Coding and Computing (ITCC), 2005. pp.66-71.
- Shiaofen Fang and Marwan Adada, Multi-scale iso-surface extraction from Volume Datasets, Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum and its Applications in Industry (VRCAI2004), June 2004, pp. 390-394.
- Shiaofen Fang, Hua Zhou, Mathew Palakal, and Susan Tennant, "Haptic Interaction for Virtual Museum", Proc. 9th International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Montreal, 96-103, 2003.
- Duoduo Liao and Shiaofen Fang, "Fast Volumetric CSG Modeling Using Standard Graphics System", Proc. 7th ACM Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, Saarbrucken, Germany, pp. 204-211, June 2002.
- Shiaofen Fang and Duoduo Liao, "Fast CSG Voxelization by Frame Buffer Pixel Mapping", ACM/IEEE Volume Visualization and Graphics Symposium 2000 (VolViz'00), pp 43-48, 2000.
- Hongsheng Chen and Shiaofen Fang, "A Volumetric Approach to CSG Modeling" , Proc. 1999 ACM symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, June, 1999, pp. 318-319.
- Shiaofen Fang, Tom Biddlecome and Mihran Tuceryan, "Image-Based Transfer Function Design for Data Exploration in Volume Visualization", Proc. IEEE Visualization'98, pp. 319-326.
- Shiaofen Fang and R. Srinivasan, "Volumetric CSG -- A Model-Based Volume Visualization Approach" , Proc. Sixth International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics and Visualization, page 88-95, 1998.
- Rajagopalan Srinivasan, Shiaofen Fang and Su Huang, "Volume Rendering by Template-Based Octree Projection" , 8th Eurographics Workshop on Visualization in Scientific Computing, page 155-163, April, 1997.
- Shiaofen Fang, R. Srinivasan, S. Huang and Raghu Raghavan, "Deformable Volume Rendering by 3D Texture Mapping and Octree Encoding" , Proc. of IEEE Visualization'96, pp. 73-80, Oct. San Francisco, CA.
- Tim Poston, Shiaofen Fang and Wayne Lawton, "Computing and Approximating Sweeping Surfaces based on Rotation Minimizing Frames" , Proc. the 4th International Conference on CAD/CG,Wuhan, China, 1995.
- Wieslaw Nowinski, Anthony Fang, Shiaofen Fang, Bonnie Nguyen, Nick Bryan and Raghu Raghavan, "Three-Dimensional Electronic Atlas of Human Cerebral Deep Structures" Proc. 14th International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging, June, 1995, Ile de Berder, France.
- Shiaofen Fang and Xiaohong Zhu, "A Spacetime Approach for Collision Detection of 3D Moving Objects", Proc. 3rd International Conference for Young Computer Scientists, July, 1993, Beijing, China.
- Xiaohong Zhu, Shiaofen Fang and Beat Bruderlin, "Obtaining Robust Boolean Set Operations for Manifold Solids by Avoiding or Eliminating Redundancies", in: Proc. Solid Modeling 93: 2nd ACM/IEEE Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, May, 1993, Montreal, Canada.
- Shiaofen Fang and Beat Bruderlin, "Robust Geometric Modeling with Implicit Surfaces", Proc. of International Conference on Manufacturing Automation, August 1992, Hong Kong.
- Shiaofen Fang and Beat Bruderlin, "Robustness in Geometric Modeling - Tolerance Based Methods", Lecture Notes in Computer Science 553, Springer-Verlag, March, 1991, pp. 85-101.
Other Publications (invited or reviewed by abstract)
- Wan J, Fang S, Vinci-Booher S, Rogers J, Wetherill L, Robinson L, Hoyme E, Molteno C, Foroud T, Jacobson J, Jacobson S, Shen L, and the CIFASD Consortium. Effects of fetal alcohol on 3D facial morphology using surface-based morphometry. RSA11: 34th Annual RSA (Research Society on Alcoholism) Scientific Meeting, June 25-29, 2011, Atlanta, Georgia
- Wan J, Kim S, McCullough K, Kwangsik Nho, Swaminathan S, West JD, Fang S, McHugh T, Flashman LA, Wishart HA, Rabin LA, Rhodes CH, Guerin SJ, Moore JH, Santulli RB, Saykin AJ, Shen L., Association analysis of candidate SNPs on hippocampal volume and shape in mild cognitive impairment and older adults with cognitive complaints. ICAD 2010: International Conference on Alzheimer's Disease, July 10-15, 2010, Honolulu Hawaii. [Selected for a platform talk].
- Duoduo Liao, Shiaofen Fang. Volume fusion: a united framework for multi-scale dynamic and heterogeneous scenes. Winter Simulation Conference 2006: 2287.
- Shiaofen Fang, Jiandong Fang, Jeffrey Huang, et al. An Automatic FAS Diagnosis Technique Using 3D Facial Image Analysis. Research Society on Alcoholism annual meeting (invited paper presentation), 2006, Baltimore.
- Shiaofen Fang and Yasaswy Bhupalam. Image Interpolation by Adaptive Subdivision for Image-Based Walkthrough of Large Scale Real-World Scenes. The 6th International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage VAST (2005).
- Shiaofen Fang. Three-Dimensional Microscopy Visualization. American Biotechnology Laboratory, invited article, vol. 19, no. 4, 34-36, 2001.
- R. Srinivasan and Shiaofen Fang. Multi-object Volume Rendering Algorithm by Octree Projection. Proc. 1998 SPIE Symposium on Medical Imaging, 462-469, Feb. 1998.
- Tom Biddlecome, Shiaofen Fang, Ken Dunn and Mihran Tuceryan. Image Guided Interactive Volume Visualization for Confocal Microscopy Data Exploration. 1998 SPIE Symposium on Medical Imaging, 130-140, Feb. 1998.
- Shiaofen Fang and R. Srinivasan. Direct Rendering of Deformable Volume Data. 1997, SPIE Medical Imaging Symposium, 37-48, Feb. 1997.
- Shiaofen Fang, Raghu Raghavan and Joan Richtsmeier. Volume Morphing Methods for Landmark Based 3D Image Deformation. SPIE vol 2710, proc. 1996 SPIE International Symposium on Medical Imaging, 404-415, Feb. 1996.
- Raghu Raghavan, H.T. Nguyen, Shiaofen Fang, S. Lele, and J.T. Richtsmeier, "Three dimensional morphing of anthropoid craniofacial morphology for the study of growth and evolution", in: Proc. American Association of Physical Anthropology meeting, Durham, North Carolina, April, 1996.
- Shiaofen Fang, Wieslaw Nowinski, L. Jagannathan and R. Srinivasan. Geometric model Reconstruction from Cross Sections for Branched Structures in Medical Applications. SPIE Vision Geometry IV, SPIE Proceedings, vol. 2573, 329-340, 1995.
- Craig Dufresne, Raghu Raghavan, Shiaofen Fang, and Joan Richtsmeier. Computerized dynamic skeletal modeling for craniofacial surgical planning: new tools to predict growth following surgery. Craniofacial Surgery: Proceedings of the VIth Congress of the International Society of Craniofacial Surgery, 31-32, October 1995.