Office Phone: +1 (317) 274 7265
Office: SL 275
723 W. Michigan St., SL 280
Indianapolis, IN 46202
University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
University of British Columbia.
- Scalable Parallel and
Performance Analysis and Optimization
Fengguang Song is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis. He earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Tennessee
at Knoxville under the direction of
the 2021 Turing Award Winner,
After receiving his PhD, he
continued to work with Jack as a Post-doctoral Research Associate between 2010 and 2012, then worked as a Senior Research Scientist in the Computer Science Lab at Samsung Research America-Silicon Valley. Since August 2013, Dr. Song has been working as an Assistant Professor then as Associate Professor of Computer Science at Indiana University Purdue University.
News (11/15/2022): Video of 2021 Turing Award Lecture by Jack Dongarra.
- Operating Systems (CS503): Fall'13 – Spring'23
- Parallel Computing (CS525/CS490): Fall'21
- Computer Architectures (CS402): Spring'14 – Spring'23
- High Performance Computing (CS590-HPC): Spring'16, Spring'17, Spring'18
- Introduction to Parallel Computing Using GPUs (CS490/CS590): Fall'20
- GPU Computing (CS590-GPGPU): Spring'19
Graduate Research Assistants
- Feng Li, Ph.D. Candidate (expected to graduate in July 2023; joined Eli Lilly in Spring 2023)
- Ayush Lodha, M.Sc.
- Manoj Gadamchetty, M.Sc.
- Nutan Kadhane, M.Sc.
Notice: I'm looking for new Ph.D. students (with full financial support) to start in Fall 2023.
To apply: See our CS Department's admission website and the international admissions office.
- Weijian Zheng, Ph.D. (2022), Argonne National Laboratory
- Yuankun Fu, Ph.D. (2021), VMware's Office of the CTO
- David Cardwell, M.Sc. (2019), Amazon
- Zachary Haydock, M.Sc. (2019), Johnson Control
- Prateek Nagar, M.Sc. (2015), Wolters Kluwer
- Jeffery Kriske, M.Sc. (2014), Eli Lilly
Education and Services
Ranking: Department Ranking in the HPC Area
Selected Publications (A full list on Google Scholar)
- Li, F., Song, F., "Efficient In-situ Workflow Planning for Geographically Distributed Heterogeneous Environments", Future Generation Computer Systems (FGCS), Elsevier, July 2023.
- Li, F., Song, F., "INSTANT: A Runtime Framework to Orchestrate In-Situ Workflows", 29th International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (Euro-Par'23), Limassol, Cyprus, August 2023.
- Zheng, W., Wang, D., Song, F., "A Distributed-GPU Deep Reinforcement Learning System for Solving Large Graph Optimization Problems", ACM Transactions on Parallel Computing (TOPC), ACM, March 2023.
- Chen, R., Li, F., Bieger, D., Song, F., Liang, Y., Luna, D., Young, R., Liang X., Pamidighantam, S., "CyberWater: An Open Framework for Data and Model Integration in Water Science and Engineering", 31st ACM CIKM 2022, Atlanta, GA, October 2022.
- Fu, Y., Song, F., "Designing a 3D Parallel Memory-Aware Lattice Boltzmann Algorithm on Manycore Systems", 27th International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (Euro-Par'21), Lisbon, Portugal, September 2021.
- Zheng, W., Wang, D., Song, F., "Design and Implementation of an Efficient Parallel Feel-the-Way Clustering Algorithm on High Performance Computing Systems", International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, November 2020.
- Fu, Y., Li, F., Song, F., Chen, Z., "Performance Analysis and Optimization of In-Situ Integration of Simulation with Data Analysis: Zipping Applications Up", 27th ACM International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC'18), Tempe, Arizona, June 2018.
- Fu, Y., Li, F., Song, F., Zhu, L., "Designing a Parallel Memory-Aware Lattice Boltzmann Algorithm on Manycore Systems", 30th International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing, Lyon, France, September 2018.
- X. Liang, J. Chen, D. Tao, S. Li, P. Wu,
H. Li, K. Ouyang, F. Song, Z. Chen,
"Correcting Soft Errors Online in Fast Fourier Transform",
ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing (SC'17), Denver, CO, November 2017.
- Li, F., Song, F.,
"A Real-time Machine Learning and Visualization Framework for Scientific Workflows",
Practice & Experience in Advanced Research Computing Conference (PEARC'17), ACM SIGAPP, New Orleans, LA, July 2017 (Best Student Paper Award).
- Song, F., Dongarra, J.,
"A Scalable Approach to Solving Dense Linear Algebra Problems on Hybrid CPU-GPU Systems",
Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience (2015).
- Song, F., Dongarra, J., "Scaling Up Matrix Computations on Shared-Memory Manycore Systems with 1000 CPU Cores",
28th ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS 2014),
Munich, Germany, June 2014.
- Waddington, D., Colmenares, J., Kuang, J., Song, F.,
"KV-Cache: A Scalable High-Performance Web-Object Cache for Manycore",
ACM/IEEE International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2013), Dresden,
Germany, December 2013 (Best Paper Runner-up Award).
- Song, F.,
Dongarra, J., "A Scalable Framework for Heterogeneous GPU-Based
Clusters", 24th ACM Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and
Architectures (SPAA 2012), Pittsburgh, USA, June 2012.
- Song, F.,
Tomov, S., Dongarra, J., "Enabling and Scaling Matrix
Computations on Heterogeneous Multi-Core and Multi-GPU Systems",
26th ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS 2012), San
Servolo Island, Venice, Italy, June 2012.
- Song, F.,
Ltaief, H., Hadri, B., Dongarra, J., "Scalable Tile
Communication-Avoiding QR Factorization on Multicore Cluster
Systems", ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing (SC'10), New
Orleans, LA, November 2010.
- Song, F.,
YarKhan, A., Dongarra, J., "Dynamic Task Scheduling for Linear
Algebra Algorithms on Distributed-Memory Multicore Systems",
ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing (SC'09), Portland, OR,
- Song, F.,
Moore, S., Dongarra, J., "Feedback-Directed Thread Scheduling
with Memory Considerations", Sixteenth IEEE International
Symposium on High-Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC07),
Monterey Bay, CA, June 2007.